Father’s Day calls for a special baking treat and this time around I was in search of yummy cupcakes. Passionfruit is such a wonderful flavour and one that I should use more of! These are really easy to make, so simple, understated and unpretentious, yet packing a punch in rich passionfruit flavour. If you want to make this recipe at any given time but it’s not passionfruit season, passionfruits are too expensive, your supermarket doesn’t have them – whatever reason it might be – you can simply use passionfruit out of a can as I did! The result it perfect and you’re not compromising on flavour in any way.
This recipe will make about 16 cupcakes, depending on your cupcake pattie size.
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 170g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125g cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon passionfruit pulp (or a whole passionfruit)
- 125g self-raising flour
- 30g plain flour
- 60mL milk
- 300mL whipping cream
- 1 and ½ tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons passionfruit pulp (or 2 whole passionfruit)
Essential kitchen items
- Muffin trays
- Cupcake patties
- Electric hand held beater
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Beat the softened butter, sugar and vanilla together using an electric mixer until the mixture is light and creamy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and beat between each addition.
- Add the softened cream cheese and passionfruit pulp and beat again.
- Sift the flours together then add to the mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Now you’re ready to fill the patties and bake – for 15 minutes!
- Meanwhile, beat together the whipping cream and sifted icing sugar. It’s important to sift the icing sugar to avoid your icing being lumpy. Make sure you watch it combine together and don’t over whip or you could soon be creating butter!
- Once your cupcakes have finished baking, remove from the oven and place onto a wire rack to cool completely – this will take about 1 hour.
- Pipe or spread, as you please, the icing onto the cooled cupcakes, then drizzle with the passionfruit pulp.
If you love this recipe you’ll also equally enjoy my Orange and Poppy Seed Muffins